Friday, May 23, 2008

Week 7: Catechism- for Kids!

Ideas for sharing last week's readings with children overflow to this week.

In addition, there are a few books I like to use to share the story of creation with my children:
The New Catholic Picture Bible by Fr. Lovasik is one of my favorite children's Bibles. The first two chapters recount creation and the fall.
God's Love Story by the Poor Clare Nuns is a picture book version of salvation history, from creation to the Resurrection. The illustrations are black outlines, suitable for copying and coloring by the child.

Here are some ideas based on Adam and Eve for preschool crafts, learning activities, worksheets and even a recipe to make a chocolate snake!

I was also inspired by all the beautiful art inspired by Genesis that I discovered while composing my blog post this week. I thought I'd do a little study of Michelangelo's fresco on the ceiling of the Sistine chapel with my kids. I got these books from the library:
The Sistine Chapel: Its History and Masterpieces by Vittorio Giudici
Michelangelo by Diane Stanley
Discovering the Great Artists by MaryAnn Kohl also has some fun art activities to go along with a study of Michelangelo, fresco plagues (painting on damp plaster) and lie-down paintings (painting on butcher paper taped to the underside of a table to experience how Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel entirely while lying on his back) which we may have to try!

No comments: