Monday, May 12, 2008

Week 6: Catechism- for Kids!

I have a few ideas for ways to share this week readings on Angels (CCC 328-336) with my kids.

There are a plethora of angel crafts available.


The Guardian Angel Prayer would be a good one to have little ones memorize.


I am also a big fan of the books by Marigold Hunt. She has written two wonderful books for children summarizing the events of the Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles in an engaging narrative style, perfect for reading aloud. She also has a book about angels aptly titled, A Book of Angels: Stories of Angels in the Bible which looks promising!






As promised I also have some ideas to tie-in to the readings on creation (CCC 337-354).



To introduce the story of creation to my young children, I came up with these felt story circles. I made mine, based on this idea. There is one for each day 1-6 with nothing for day 7 to emphasize that God rested. I read the account from Genesis 1-2:4 while the child puts the felt circles in order on the felt board. I also have felt numbers they can put up.


Home Catechesis Album Ages 3-5 has a similar presentation, with patterns for making materials.


I also enjoy reading the picture book The Story of Creation with lavish illustrations by Jane Ray.


A good follow up is to have the kids make their own booklets of creation, they draw a picture for each day and staple it into a book.


For my school-aged children I recently discovered this coloring book by Mary Daly: Genesis 1 House of the Covenant. It is for middle school and younger, with text that can either be read-aloud or read directly by the student.

1 comment:

Marianne Elizabeth said...

This is WONDERFUL! I just saw this at 4real. I'll join right in at week 6 as I have read a lot of Part 1 of the CCC. This is so perfect for getting me to move along with reading the catechism!

Thank you and blessings,
Marianne