Sunday, April 20, 2008

Week 3: Passages 109-171

This week we read passages 109- 171, or days 15-21 on the CHN guide.

How is everyone doing? I encourage you as you read to highlight, mark up, or take notes in a notebook- even if you never look at it again the process of recording your thoughts really helps the material stick! And of course you’ll want to note your favorite passages so you can comment about them on this blog!
I’m finding the length of these readings pretty doable. I even got this one done ahead of time, because as you all are reading this I am in New York living it up! And attending Mass with His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI– accompanied by my four kids ages 8 and under. I’ll let you know how that goes!

But anyway back to the Catechism!

These readings continue where we left off last week in Article 3…
… of Chapter Two…
… of Section One…
…of Part One.


Are you with me?



We are up to Roman Numeral III: The Holy Spirit, Interpreter of Scripture
This section gives us guidelines for interpreting Scripture, through which God speaks to us in a human way.
First we need to understand the intention of the human author, taking into account the historical context, literary genre, and modes of the time of writing.
Second we need to read and interpret in light of the Spirit. Particularly what God wants to reveal to us for our salvation.
We are given three criteria for interpreting Scripture in accordance with the Spirit:


  1. “Be especially attentive ‘to the content and unity of the whole Scripture.’ Different as the books which comprise it may be, Scripture is a unity by reason of the unity of God’s plan, of which Christ Jesus is the center and heart, open since his Passover.” (CCC 112)



  2. “Read the Scripture within ‘the living Tradition of the whole Church.’” (CCC 113)



  3. “Be attentive to the analogy of faith. By ‘analogy of faith’ we mean the coherence of the truths of faith among themselves and within the whole plan of Revelation.” (CCC 114)

There are two senses of Scripture: literal and spiritual, with the spiritual being divided into allegorical, moral and anagogical senses.


The Church carries the Divine Commission for interpreting Scripture, as St. Augustine reminds us:



“But I would not believe in the Gospel, had not the authority of the Catholic
Church already moved me.” (CCC 119)


IV The Canon of Scripture
The Church discerned which writings are to be included in the list of sacred books known as the canon of Scripture. There are 46 books in the Old Testament and 27 in the New.
The Old Testament has not been revoked, the Church venerates it as the True Word of God and a source of much teaching, wisdom, and prayer. Additionally, the mystery of our salvation is present in the Old Testament in a hidden way.
The New Testament hands on the ultimate truth of God’s Revelation. The Gospels are the heart of the NT “because they are our principal source for the life and teaching of the Incarnate Word, our Savior.” (CCC 125)


There are three stages of the formation of the Gospels:
1. The life and teaching of Jesus.
2. The oral tradition.
3. The written Gospels.


The Gospels hold a unique place in the Church, in the liturgy and in the minds of the Saints.



“The New Testament lies hidden in the Old and the Old Testament is unveiled in
the New.” (CCC 129)


The typology of the Old Testament reveals prefigurations of what will be accomplished in the New Testament, but the OT does not lose its intrinsic value.

V. Sacred Scripture in the Life of the Church

“The Church ‘forcefully and specifically exhorts all the Christian faithful…to
learn the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ by frequent reading of the divine
Scriptures. Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.’” (CCC 133)


I need to read that over and over!

Chapter Three – Man’s Response to God

“By his Revelation, ‘the invisible God, from the fullness of his love, addresses
men as his friends, and moves among them, in order to invite and receive them
into his own company.’ The adequate response to this invitation is faith.”
(CCC 142)

By faith man completely submits his mind and will to God through a process known as the obedience of faith.


Article 1 I Believe
I. The Obedience of Faith

This section discusses those we can look to as examples of faith: Abraham (our Father in faith) and of course Mary whose faith never wavered even as her son died on the cross.

II. I know Whom I Have Believed
Christian faith differs from faith in a human person. We are adhering to the whole truth that God has revealed, to put such faith in a creature would be futile.
Because we believe in God we also believe in his Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit who reveals to men who Jesus is.


III. The Characteristics of Faith



“Faith is a gift of God, a supernatural virtue infused by him.” (CCC 153)

We need the grace of God to assist us! How often do I try to do things on my own strength? My brain has so much trouble wrapping around the idea that I can’t do everything all by myself, that I need the gift of God.
Faith is a human act, contrary to neither the human freedom nor human reason. I know I have had trouble accepting that statement. I really used to believe that Christians were not excersing their freedom or reason. I thought they were just blindly following what they were taught, which I didn’t understand so I concluded didn’t make any sense. Now I can see that while perhaps some Christian fail to apply their freedom and reason, the same can be said for a large number of non-Christians. Let’s face it – it is just so much easier to accept what you see around you and not rock the boat. It is Jesus who calls us out of our nice comfortable boat onto the wild and raging water and gives us the grace to do what seemed impossible and crazy! But accepting that invitation is tough.
We believe because of the authority of God, but so that faith would be in accordance with our reason God willed external proofs of His Revelation to be joined with the internal helps of the Holy Spirit.

“The assent of faith is ‘by no means a blind impulse of the mind.” (CCC 156)

Faith is certain because it is founded on the very Word of God.
Faith seeks understanding. Read this passage well, dear Catechism reading buddies, and find encouragement:

“It is intrinsic to faith that a believer desires to know better the One in whom
he has put his faith and to understand better what He has revealed; a more
penetrating knowledge will in turn call forth a greater faith, increasingly set
afire by love. The grace of faith opens ‘the eyes of your hearts’ to a
lively understanding of the contents of Revelation: that is, of the totality of
God’s plan and the mysteries of faith, of their connection with each other and
with Christ, the center of the revealed mystery. ‘The same Holy Spirit
constantly perfects faith by his gifts, so that Revelation may be more and more
profoundly understood.’ In the words of St. Augustine, ‘I believe, in order to
understand; and I understand, the better to believe.’” (CCC 158)



There is no conflict between faith and science. Truth can never contradict truth.


“Though faith is above reason, there can never be any real discrepancy between
faith and reason.” (CCC 159)

Faith must be free, men cannot be coerced. Christ invited conversion but never forced anyone.
Faith is necessary for salvation, we must believe in Jesus Christ and the One who sent him.
It is possible to lose faith, we must persevere.




“To live, grow, and persevere in the faith until the end we must nourish it with
the word of God; we must beg the Lord to increase our faith; it must be ‘working
through charity,’ abounding in hope, and rooted in the faith of the Church.”
(CCC 162)



Faith gives us foretaste of the beatific vision, when we see God face to face. However our experience here on earth is often that of looking into a rather dirty mirror. We see God imperfectly and all the evil and suffering of the world is a temptation against faith.
We must turn to the witnesses of faith, Abraham the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the saints.




Article 2 We Believe
I. Lord, Look Upon the Faith of Your Church
We have not given ourselves faith, it has been given to us by others and it is our responsibility to pass it on!




II. The Language of Faith
The Church is our mother, through which we first receive the gift of faith. She is also our teacher. As a mother teachers her children to speak, so the Church teaches us the language of faith using certain formulations to aid us in understanding the life of faith.





And so concludes the reading for this week. I love the analogy of the Church as a mother. I really cling to the example of the Church as I strive to raise my children as Christians. As mothers we are in a unique position to share in the Church’s maternal mission.





So let’s have some discussion questions!




  • Share any passage that jumped out at you! What part of the reading spoke to your heart?



  • Do see Faith as a supernatural virtue that is infused by God? What steps do you take to nourish your faith? (see CCC 162 for examples)



  • How can we as wives and mothers, fulfill our duty to pass on the faith as it has been passed to us?

7 comments:

Leah of RamFam said...

I have not yet done the readings, but wanted to make two observations:
1. "Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ."
Wow!!! I should be doing the reading through the Bible in a year that accompanies this. Although I have a Protestant upbringing, I do not call upon Scripture as some do. I don't even have a favorite. This is definitely my inspiration to become more acquainted with them.

2. Your picture of Abraham and Isaac is very moving. My Faith is so little.

Thanks for your continued work. And I will pray for your safe return. We were able to get a glimpse of Pope Benedict XVI here in DC. Very powerful!

Leah of RamFam said...

1. Things that jumped out at me:
A. CCC 151 - "Believe in God, believe also in Me." Again our reading compliments our Sunday readings wonderfully. Another "God-incincidence"
B.CCC166 - "The believer has received faith from others and should hand it on to others." This is such a huge responsibility. What am I doing today to hand on my faith to others?

So, the readings this week have disspelled two common myths about the Catholic Church: 1. the CC is not Bible-based and 2. the CC does not believe in the need to evangelize.

2. What am I doing to nourish my faith? Reading and discussing the Catechism! ;) Paired with daily prayer and weekly Mass. I would like to go to Confession more frequently, but just never seem to make time. How often do you go? Any words of encouragement for me?

3.How do I pass on my faith? My hope is that in living this extraordinary lifestyle, I am evangelizing to my family and friends who currently think I'm simply crazy for having more than two kids and actually want to spend all of my day with them. In handing on to my children: With my first grader we are using the New St Joseph's Baltimore Catechism. What do you use, especially as you approach first Communion? We also pray a morning offering, Angelus before naps, and evening prayers including Now I Lay Me.., Angel of God, personal intentions, one thing to be thankful for, one thing to be forgiven for. What do you do?

-Leah

Sweetness and Light said...

Aagh, I'm already behind, but rapidly taking notes from your notes :))) I love the "Mother" quote, it is truly why we home educate, to pass on our faith!

Mel said...

CCC 153 - We have a little saying in our Christ Renews His Parish group that I think is very appropriate here..."God doesn't call the equipped - He equips the called." "If He has called you to it, He will see you through it." That's what faith is all about!

CCC 159 - Faith is never contrary to reason because accurate reason and valid scientific research always reveals the truth. Since God is truth, he cannot contradict himself. Therefore, any truth that is revealed through science cannot be contrary to faith. All things in the world and all faith come from the same source.

Ramfam - I use to find reconciliation hard to get to as well. Then I started putting it on my calendar once a month. I allow myself to be flexible as to what week I attend because of family schedules but I usually do not go more than 6 weeks. I found by going more frequently, it gets easier to go and I always feel great when I come out! So make a date and put it on your calendar.

I think each of us must nourish our faith through daily discipline of prayer, scripture, and devotion. Some days this is not an easy task! I know if I start my day with prayer, I always have a better day than when I don't. Even though faith is an individual act, no one can believe alone. This requires a community of believers who have received faith from each other and pass it on to others. Each of us are a link in the "great chain of believers."

I think one of the best ways I can pass my faith on to my family and others is to be an example. I firmly believe actions speak louder than words. Even if you are going through some rough time, how you react to this tough time and how you maintain your faith can be a beautiful example for all who see you. You will never know how many lives you may touch! Seek God's help always and keep the faith even if it is just a thin thread at the moment for HE will carry you through!

margarita girl said...

Hi, I am jumping in late on this great blog. Thanks for doing this Andrea, and I hope that you had a wonderful time seeing Pope Benedict with your family!

What struck me this week was the thought that I am not sure my children believe all my "rules and regulations" are out of love for them. And quite frankly, not all of them are, some are just my desire to keep my life easier or the house cleaner. But how good the Church is as a mother, with so many allowances throughout the world for cultural expressions all the while maintaining the consistent discipline of the Mass, and teaching on faith and morals.

Do I see the Church as a loving mother who teaches these things out of love or as a "strict disciplinarian" who has rules that are for no reason?

Seeing that Christ loves the Church and died for her, I am compelled to believe that the Church teaches all with an urgent LOVE! I need to model my motherhood more on that motherhood.

Tiffany said...

By far the most moving section for me thus far. Among my favories was CCC 144: To obey in faith is to submit freely to the word that has been heard as well as the beautiful scripture quotation from Hebrews: "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." As I prepare to give birth in the next four weeks to our third child (in three years :)) I am reassured by CCC 142 that "the adequate response to this invitation [divine revelation] is faith." This pregnancy has been difficult wondering what God's plan is since it was not my own. But through faith I have completely submitted by will to God and given consent for God to use me as an instrument as he sees fit. Please continue to offer me and my family in your prayers. Our oldest son was born with a genetic disease, cystic fibrosis. Our second son Colin does not have cystic fibrosis and we continue to pray for Christ's healing miracle for our unborn child.

Andrea Gray said...

Mel- I love your advice on setting a date for confession. I need to get more regular about it too! Thank you for dharing your wisdom!
Leah- It sounds like what are you are doing to teach the faith is great! We also love the St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism here- my boys memorize the questions for their ConQuest club catechism challenge. The competition really motivates them and of course as we work on the memorization we have great spontaneous discussions about the faith! For First Communion prep I really like CHC's First Communion plans (included intheor 2cnd grade lesson plans). Actually I probably used way too mnay rtesources for my son's First Communion last year, but I did post about it on my other blog under the tag "sacrament prep".
Tiffany- I will keep you and your baby in my prayers! Keep us posted!
And finally I want to thank everyone who is takling time to read along with me and comment. I am really enjoying the "conversation"!